Being Tactical is Freaking Sweet

Over the course of our readings and discussions of strategic and tactical urbanism and what they are or how they are applied, I continue to think of my experiences in urban environments and the practices that I have noticed over time. A few different ones came to mind, one being my recent visit to Barcelona where I stayed at an Air Bnb between Parallel St. and the Gothic Quarters and me being an aimless wanderer (like Roberto Diaz) I spent much of my time walking around with no real intention of specific destination. During my wandering I came across a series of streets and intersections that had been re purposed into urban plazas. There was yellow painting on the roadways to delineate where cars should be and where people could be, along with different types of forms for seating or planting. I enjoyed it and it was clear that the locals would utilize it at all times of the day and night. It promoted eyes on the street and the "chaotic" change from colors to forms and speed bumps really slowed vehicular traffic down which in turn made it safer and more enjoyable than being along any of the busier streets.

A few other experiences were those I have had in Portland, where the food cart phenomenon is constantly addressing how we use the street in a public manner. There are a number of different ways that we can utilize space along the road and implement things like parklets (totally not legal, but its freaking sweet). I think these types of tactical urbanism are awesome and I love the creativity in different uses of public space. I also understand the different repercussions it might have, like what David talked about in class of how our exercises in these public spaces are tampering the actual implementation of real infrastructure that promotes this very type of public use and interaction.

Comments

  1. I'm for more of this approach. As we learned in B.D's class, a lot of these interventions are about reclaiming public right of way that has been given to cars at the expense of pedestrians. I do however hate to see this become a pawn for capitalism to exploit and the fact that while they are "public" they aren't for everyone, considering certain social and political barriers try to stop certain activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I like that same aspects of tactical urbanism: eyes on the streets, the creativity it promotes but also the reclaimed spaces for pedestrian. I think it is a great step towards reclaiming the city for pedestrians away from cars. I do wonder if to deal with the repercussions about real infrastructure, should every area with tactical urbanism come with a time limit that allows for real infrastructure to follow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of Margaret Crawford's comment in the Michigan debates about how parking lots are also a great spot to implement this approach, reclaiming spaces that have been dedicated to cars for use by the people and the city. In my opinion, tactical urbanism is more of a temporary fix and an example of the potential a space holds and what it could be if we were just to give more thought to the real design of the space.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts