Parametric Design



Parametric design as a singular type of architecture doesn’t make sense to me.  It seems that Parametric architecture, on its own is just changing math into a structure.  I would consider this to be more sculptural, artistic, and duck like. I believe that the potential benefits of parametric design and modeling are most evident in the design process.  The use of an algorithm to solve a problem is completely logical. If the parametric design process is solving an architectural issue, e.g. structural system or building envelope, it becomes a tool for design rather than a rule book.  In my opinion, restricting design based on an algorithm without connection to a design issue is taking away the benefits of the architectural design process. 


Comments

  1. I agree that using "parametric design process [to solve] an architectural issue" is most beneficial to the design process, as it moreso a tool of assistance and not the architectural driver. However, I do believe if used as a smaller entity, parametric design can add and improve the quality of a space. The designer can measure the impact of a parametrically-designed piece of architetcure used as a temporary focal point, rather than creating the building envelope from that process. That building envelope could be viewed as repetitive and not a unique usage of materials, whereas, that same strategy could be displayed at a smaller scale, and have a much larger impact, in what I considered to be more museum-styled and sized architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if it also takes our jobs. I have heard many times that architecture is one of the safesest profesions when faced with automatisation and artificial intelligence, but with this, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts