on tactics

When reading this intro to everyday urbanism, I found myself wondering which spaces would Chase, Crawford, and Kalinski would cite as successful implementations of strategies that do not necessitate the need for user tactics. I do understand this excerpt is just an intro, and therefore speaks in generalities to encompass the entirety of the material to come. In fact, I know that I will, at a later date, need to read more of this text - considering that toward the end of the intro, they do state that will speak on several locations throughout the text. However, for the time being, I will just postulate on the premise, based upon my very limited knowledge of the topic.

I've decided to play devil's advocate and argue against the use of tactics, not because I am intrinsically opposed to the idea - I don't have the insight to make a judgement - but because I'm feeling argumentative. That being said: I think that one of the most benign, and obvious, examples of tactics utilized by the user is the ever-present desire paths that can be found skirting the corner of a hard-scaped pathway. I have to say that I am not necessarily a huge proponent of such tactics. I'd even go one step further (unlike the desire path user) and say that the user of a space is often not a subject matter expect on the very space they will occasionally occupy (speaking strictly of public spaces, not private).




Sure, what you see in this image above shows a harmless pathway. But what is equally present, though not as obvious, is the human condition that is stubbornness. My first inclination is that this type of stubbornness stems from laziness, but I don't think that is always the case. I think it's more a matter of self-involvement that places one's own 'needs' over others. "I need to get from point A to B by 9:00 am, I cannot be bothered to walk an additional 20 feet". This self-involved mentality is obnoxious.

In Mürren, Switzerland, homes line hillside along the main street, 3000 ft above the Lauterbrunnen Valley. A few empty lots have attracted tourists to occupy the slopes, equipped with their selfie sticks and disregard for others' property. What should be a lush, grassy hillside, is now a trampled, muddy and slippery hillside. There are several designated viewing areas, with equal views, within 100 yards. 

Go visit a waterfall with designated viewing areas, there are dozens in the upstate, and it doesn't matter which you choose; you will almost certainly see a user-created pathway nearby, often leading to the top of the falls. Now look around the viewing area for the sign that will tell you how many people died in the past X years from slipping and falling outside of the viewing area.

For a more 'urban' example, look into the Maeklong Railway Market in Bangkok. Merchants set up their goods under tents in a narrow alley between rows of buildings. As the name suggests, a train passes through this corridor. The public circulation literally occurs on the tracks. And when a train approaches, the vendors have to stow their tents/ awnings and everyone hugs the walls as the train passes.


Maeklong Railway Market

These are just three examples that came to mind immediately when I began to think about the notion that people's intrinsic motivations are paramount in their daily actions. In these three examples, personal safety is disregarded for personal benefit.

Comments

  1. I agree that spaces—and those who use them—are often at the mercy of people behaving badly. Property damage, litter, noise pollution, and general rudeness are too common. However, I associate the idea of "tactics" with behavior that is motivated by a need to assert identity, either because a person feels devalued or they want to solidify a bond to others.

    People plaster relatively expensive vehicles with cheap bumper stickers to express something about themselves.

    People become resentful when employers limit their options to decorate work spaces with personal mementos.

    People buy homes in neighborhoods with HOAs, but they are deeply offended when they are called out for violating covenants.

    People who move far from home look for ways to introduce their old culture into their new space, while people who are native to a place take pride in emphasizing traditional symbols.

    A lot of emotion seems to fuel informal, tactical behavior, and I am not sure that it’s really possible to hold back that tide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, great post! Yes, I agree that sometimes people disregard personal safety for personal benefit. However, from the examples in class, people disregard personal safety because they are desperate for a place to live and then need to build informally within the slums. I think this is where the architect's role is important to ensure that the built environment is safe for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts