Community Engagement

I really enjoyed this text - not only was it very well written, but I think it justifies what we're learning and why. I know some schools focus on autonomous architecture and I think this text does a great job at criticizing the lack of understanding for the importance of participation architecture. However, I do think there is a learning curve when practicing in this manner. As we discussed in class, there are multiple challenges when working with a community group for a project such as language (archi-speak), the need for good questions that will foster conversation, feedback and the importance of understanding a want vs. a need. De Carlo has a section titled Quality of consensus and quality of plan. Architects need to have a plan on how to approach a community and how to "plan with people" so that "consensus remains permanently open." When this happens, "the act becomes liberating and democratic, stimulating a multiple and continuous participation." In my mind, a quality plan helps form consensus which then creates a level of trust and cooperation to devise another quality plan for the project. When the user is involved, people take ownership of the project and have a fondness for it. Isn't that what most of us want - A great project that functions well for it's user and that is highly accepted and regarded?


Related image 

My struggle with this is the disconnect I've seen and experienced in the professional world. Most firms are not devoted to participation architecture because of politics, time, budget, schedule, etc. So how do we push for this type of design in the real world? De Carlo begins his text by saying the students had begun to question the purpose of their training and social role, therefore changing their outlook and seeking a different way to do architecture. I hope that our generation can do the same and transform the way we do architecture in a capitalist society (or is it a matter of transforming the capitalist society...?).

Comments

  1. I like how you posed the question about transforming the capitalist society. But to be honest, I find it to be very difficult to approach as we are so tied up in it. It's especially demoralizing when after graduating and the financial reality hits, we realize that we have to play with the capitalists if we want to get out of the financial situation a lot of us are in. But I guess if there is will then there is always a way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is very well written! I agree with Pancho that it can be difficult to include the public in the design process with tight deadlines and limited resources. And sometimes the client may not even want public input.

    As you and Alejandro Aravana mentioned, community-engaged design has its challenges and require having a thought-out plan. I hope to have the opportunity to participate in one of these (successful) community-input sessions, because like you say it gives them ownership and I think it's a really great opportunity to educate the public about design, especially since a lot of regular people don't know much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your post was very insightful. An issue with the community engagement and involvement that I would think would be actually ensuring that the information and feedback that is received is applied appropriately. I feel like community engagement has become such a buzzword that there's a risk of it being a checked off box without enough thought being applied to it. I think thats where the "quality plan" for engagement and after is so important.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts