Why I Took This Course

While 50 years have passed since De Carlo presented “Architecture’s Public” as a critical argument for involving users in architectural planning and design, it remains relevant to my research. He raised some of the same points that drove me, as an education student, to architecture courses in preparation for my research on the effects of campus structures and landscapes on student engagement at community colleges. Underlying my questions are concerns about opportunities and challenges relating to the following:
  • diverse populations studying at community colleges;
  • the need to bolster college completion;
  • a campus’ capacity to affect a sense of belonging, competence, and empowerment; and
  • recognition that aging buildings strain college resources.

As DeCarlo stated, the architectural profession—and consequently the structures architects have produced—has historically reflected the values, histories, and power of dominant groups, leading to an oversaturation of majority narratives and underrepresentation of marginalized groups. With my research, I hope to recognize my own blind spots as a college administrator who has some input into campus buildings. Mostly, I hope to elevate the scrutiny of existing campus spaces on the part of community college leaders and planners and the application of theory to the construction or renovation of future campus spaces. While DeCarlo talked about architects siding with users, I am interested in seeing college leaders (i.e., the client) siding with users, too.

Finally, I hope that my anticipated research methodology aligns with Alejandro Aravena’s points on collaboration. I plan to conduct action research with users (i.e. students) using Photovoice—a qualitative, participatory methodology that requires learning about and collaborating with marginalized groups. Some goals of the methodology are to engage people in active listening and dialogue that leads to critical reflection and to move people to act on behalf of positive community change. If I use it correctly, I believe that Photovoice will empower students to think critically about their learning environments while helping me understand their campuses’ effects on student engagement.




Old: Greenville Technical College's University Transfer Building




New: Greenville Technical College's Center for Manufacturing Innovation

Comments

  1. I think the topics in this section of the course are extremely important, but even more important than that is how we truly learn from it and apply it. I find it wonderful and fascinating that you decided to take this course and are now finding in this section how it aligns with your involvements outside of it. The citizen architect/architect citizen section are key to reflect on here because you are embodying this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting topic. Will you do one of the class lectures? Let's talk to David about it.

    College campus architecture is so unique in that fact that people spend such a crucial part of their life at them and they see an incredible amount of turnover. For this reason, college campuses impact a lot of people and impact them in profound ways.

    Some colleges stick to specific styles, typically from an older time. Is this inclusive of the diverse student population? Other times campuses are dumping grounds for starchitects to create their masterpieces. Is this inclusive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thoughts on college campus' is truly inspiring.

    The idea that community input can be given from a temporary population is compelling. Lets say every four years a new "Photovoice" gets sent out, the input you receive has the potential to evolve every time. Although that would be complex, the data could help inform administrators, such as yourself, could understand a universal architectural language for college campus' everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very intriguing and would be a really good topic to discuss in class. I've never heard of "photovoice" but I think it would be a huge asset for architects and designers to understand this methodology. Obviously there is a lot to be learned and shared between our two disciplines so I really appreciate hearing your point of view and ideas in class. I'd venture to say education as a discipline benefits architecture more than we know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audrey, Phil, Cody, and Libby... you have no idea how much your interest means to me. I am completely humbled (and sometimes intimidated) by the fact that I am attempting to "talk shop" with highly capable and creative architects. I am still organizing my thoughts and sources related to this this topic; but at some point, I would be thrilled if some of you would help me find the holes in my arguments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts