My cultural privilege.


I find Social and Spatial Justice most prevalent in the Los Angeles Bus Riders Union. Traditionally utilized by the Hispanic and Latin American communities, the drastic re-routing of and in specific regions, removal of bus routes instantly stripped a service from a community. Some outside of this community have a difficult time understanding how deeply rooted this service is to the community it serves (Side note I do not know what it is like to be bus dependent or even what it is like to not have access to a car.) This example opens my eyes to the importance of public services and the sensitivity with which those politically serving our communities must address transportation.

While I can empathize and attempt to verbalize my understanding of the situation, can I actually understand the importance of this service to these communities? I can educate myself on a situation that is intertwined with the Architecture and urban planning profession, but I am fundamentally outside of this. So, what is the profession to do when the majority of architects are white men of a higher economic background? There is a need for architects to be unbiased and for the profession to first seek to understand before being understood. I think Clemson has done a good job of instilling this, but I am always thankful for additional examples that remind me of my cultural, inherent bias and privilege.  



Comments

Popular Posts