REVIT Rant

"The professional challenge, whether one is an architect in the rural American South or elsewhere in the world, is how to avoid being so stunned by the power of modern technology and economic affluence that one does not lose sight of the fact that people and place matter."   -      Samueal Mockbee

After a day full of interviews, this quote really struck accord of me. I have at least once today, and many times previously, encountered the following phrasing in one tune or another from a professional architect… “Now, for the most important question, do you know REVIT?”. This is, to me, a quick way to lose any endeavor I might have had to join an organization, whether I actually know the program or not. If the culmination of our profession truly boils down to the simple ability to operate a software, then the state of architecture is undoubtedly in trouble. If modern technology, as opposed to evolving cultures and society, is driving the architecture of today, then that really sucks. To push past the Revit deal and address Mockbee’s subtly put “economic affluence”, I’ve professionally encountered clients, manly married folks, with no kids, neither of them cook, both work outside the home… and they still have to have that 5BR 5,000 sqft home with a kitchen island the size of a football field. It’s crazy… as designers I think we should be weary of projects that, at the client wishes, perform prominently as a self-indulgent monument to one’s ego… or perhaps an operative form of intimidation. We should, instead, work diligently to, maybe sometimes covertly, influence the minds of our client and ensure a responsible architecture, one that addresses “people and place matter”.



Comments

  1. I am definitely a Revit Supporter. I think that it has a lot of features that allow for more complex designs, but they do take more time to learn. With that being said, I agree with you that knowing Revit should not be the sole focus of a firm. With time, the software can be taught... what is most important is a person's ability to think critically, problem solve, and just generally have a desire to make a positive impact with architecture. On the flip side though, most of the time an entry level position will involve mostly work using the software and less design work, so knowing the software really well right when you enter the work force can give you a leg up on the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an avid Revit user or necessarily a big fan...but I'm also trying not to totally blame the problem on the program because I do think that there's a bigger discussion to be had here! Whatever the program (Revit, Grasshopper....) I think the problem is in the intention and design decisions when the user gives more control to the program than their own personal contribution to the craftsmanship behind the design. It happens with any program that you can get so sucked in to the pre-design block or family that the attention to detail or selection of specific design elements can get so easily overlooked. I think with this discussion of being critical as designers we need to constantly and rigorously question why we're doing what we're doing and hopefully in the end it comes back to the values of people and place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, I hate revit... I hate using it, that ringing error message that pops up when it won't let me do what I want it to do. However, I think the modern technology and software is not always an inhibitor, but can open the door to new possibilities of actually getting unique projects built. Technology is not always the problem. People have been designing massive projects and getting them built throughout history. The trick and the job of architects is to not let annoying software get in the way of design, but to use the software as a tool to make it reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly I agree that after a 20 minute interview, why in the hell does it seem like everything boils down to knowing REVIT. As if that's the tool that matters the most in an young architectural intern's tool belt. What's interesting is that education doesn't teach REVIT in classes with their reasoning being "Rhino 5 is the FUTURE" and other things. The problem is REVIT is today, right now. It puts us behind from the beginning. I know revit somewhat well so that question doesn't intimidate me but from the tone in their voice when they ask that question it reveals disappointing subjective priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "from the tone in their voice when they ask that question it reveals disappointing subjective priorities."

      Well put sir

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts