Seems Familiar



In the reading by Tzonis and Lefaivre, the writers introduce us to Goethe’s three point from manifesto and the one that I was most intrigued was the third point.


“The building is perceived as a memory trigger that leads the spectator to a state of ‘faint divining’ that brings on an inexplicable temporal awareness.”


It is fascinating to think about the power of the mind and its ability to bring out the most honest thoughts when we allow it to develop thought. One example that I think about is when you are asked as a child in class to draw your house and most of the time it is a square with a triangle on top. This form is embedded in most people’s minds. It’s seen everywhere, Vitruvius describes it, I’ve lived in it, and even google considers it home.


Is it possible to alter the imagery of home or is this our truth?



Comments

  1. Fast forward 20 years - Will children still be drawing the 'classic' house? As time goes on and cites expand, the luxury of the traditional single family home will become unknown to many inner city kids and perhaps...one day, may abandon us all!

    I think the triangle capped form we are so accustomed to linking to 'home' has remained the same because multi-family , stacked living is a relatively new and in time may be the only form of home most kids will grow up in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Idk, it is fascinating to think that this idea of the house is still so relevant given that in other cultures different shapes (like round ones) are traditional but yet we all go back to that one in particular when they ask us about our "house". I wonder if it will ever go away in this 'media era' since it seems to still conquer the masses idea of an ideal home. It is very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that this shape is embedded in people's (and architect's) minds, but I think its a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Especially when you look at modern architects using that shape in a contemporary use specifically to reference the "quintessential home"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love what you said about Google. Google is indeed the voice of our society and I think that it's very insightful to analyze what Google views as 'Home.'

    I also am fascinated by memory recollection and sense of place. These neurological reminders of space and time are fundamental reasons why I cannot escape the architecture field. I desire to recreate those which have brought me joy and to reinterpret those that I remember as painful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Home is a buzz word that now identifies with the imagery you posted. I remember in Charleston we talked about the concept of dwelling with JT. Similar to home, but less constrained I believe. When you think of "dwelling" do you get the same image as a box with a triangle roof? Type it in google, the results are much different. :O

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts