About Laura Palmer

“The owls are not what they seem” - Twin Peaks series.



I do not want to criticize suburbia, I want to praise it.
I was impressed with “Twin Peaks” series, I was mesmerized. Like everybody else,
I was wondering “Who killed Laura Palmer?”.
With time, exploring different cultures and urban history, I finally understood “who”
was responsible for her death - American suburbia.
I even had a chance to try this rural, disconnected “dream” lifestyle in the USA, in
South Carolina. This was a priceless experience which in a way only confirmed and
even exceed my expectations.
I do not want to criticize suburbia (I can do it endlessly), I want to praise it as a unique
cultural/historical event.
I want to thank it for example for “Twin Peaks” by David Linch, for “It” by King
(and not only “It”), for “Scream” by Wes Craven, even for “Addams Family” in a way.
This is a well-known fact that a big part of thrillers takes place in suburbia (not only
“Halloween”))) - the perfect environment for hidden monster beneath idyllic outlook. 
At the moment I am highly intrigued by the future of American suburbia. With
contemporary technological tendencies, it is even easier to live in suburbia, but at the
same time, its core idea contradicts all innovations in general.





Comments

  1. I love this post... specifically because Horror series and movies aren't at all what my mind pulls up when suburbia is mentioned. But you're totally right, it sets up these stories so beautifully, never calling suburbia out as the culprit but really it sets the stage so perfectly. A couple that I can think of too are Donnie Darko and Edward Scissorhands.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts