Ecological Urbanism

I really enjoyed our discussion about the importance of ecological urbanism and the examples presented. I have felt the annoyance in studios of being expected to design the whole landscape at the same time as the building, but I realize it's such an important part of the overall process. One without the other is not complete. I believe it is critical for architecture education to communicate the importance of integrating the design of the external and internal environment. These two things should not be designed within a bubble. The design of both should be integrated from the outset. To some degree it would be nice to work on more projects with landscape architecture students to push this development to an even larger and more in depth scale.

An example of BIM GIS and Planning

New Hong Kong Ocean Park Marriot Hotel and Water Park Designed by Aedas

Comments

  1. I find it so interesting that you were annoyed by some studios expecting you to design the landscape of your project. I get why, specially now that I see how much Landscape Architecture is a thing in the US but I do think, like you say, that one completes the other. It is also probably because landscape architecture isn't that big in Mexico and the Architect historically has done so. To the point that we actually study about it during our undergrad and therefore expected to do it. I think that your idea of working with LARC students is a great one because that way we can start to understand how we really affect each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think it would benefit both disciplines to collaborate more, starting in academia. Then I think it would become much more clear that the hard separation we've created of dealing with the building and then the extra stuff around the building would disappear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 100% agree with this. Landscape design elevates a project, and makes the space something that people prefer to inhabit. In one undergraduate studio, we worked with landscape architecture students and it was such an eye-opening experience. Having a dialogue with them from the beginning makes the design process much easier rather than finishing the design and then throwing some bushes on the site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "One without the other is not complete" is a very true and well put statement regarding landscape and architecture. Working with and designing the landscape can be a challenge, but can further the goals of the whole design. When you think about iconic modern architecture, the landscape almost always plays a role in the success of the project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree. While designing the building you also need to be designing the exterior spaces around the building. When I was in Genoa, we worked on a group project for the semester and in my group we had one landscape architecture student. Working with her really opened my eyes to how you can begin to integrate the building design and the landscape design simultaneously. It was a really unique experience to have and I think working with the landscape students at some point in school would be beneficial to both studies.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts