Design of the Envelope


The envelope of a building serves as a separator of spaces, obviously between the interior and exterior, to provide comfortable environments for the inhabitants. However, it seems that a lot of contemporary architects are seeing it more as a bridge than a separator.

Take Lee Hall III for example; the building is completely glazed on the north and south side in order to create a better connection with the surrounding exterior environment. The goal of this is to set up a dialogue between the interior and exterior spaces rather than separating them. However, the east and west facades are full-designed envelopes as separators with insulation to protect from sun exposure; so in that case, Lee’s envelope serves as both a separator and a bridge depending on the way you look at it.




Comments

  1. I will say that coming to the end of my education at Clemson and having the privileged of working in a building that bridges between the outside and the inside so well will forever be a part of me. I've found myself judging work environments as I go out for interviews if they live up to the standard I've been able to experience in Lee 3. The design is a lasting lesson to me as much as my education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Astute observation, Harrison. Another level of design connected to the interior program and overall concept. But it also takes student health and other natural elements into consideration. The envelope suddenly becomes a complex, dynamic creature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To piggyback off of Bert's comment, Lee 3's façade creates a great working space for studios or any work space. The daylighting beats any artificial lighting in offices, the visibility gives you a level of connectivity to the exterior courtyards, and height lends itself to work at multiple levels which gives the user different perspectives of the space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great example! I love the "wall". It looks like a brick wall in the material to respose the campus color. But it is empty on the bottom. That is saying "I am not a simple wall, my name is architecture envelope" .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lift is so brilliant. I have loved it for many years and it still brings a smile to my face. I think that Tom understood the need for the Western facade of the envelope to have the same gestural approach as the north and south, but with a completely different personality. There is a distinctive dialogue that he created by lifting the brick and I think that it is just the best ever.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts