Don't forget your 'why'


“…concentrating on the problems of how, they played into the hands of the power structure. In neglecting the problems of why they lost track of the most important reasons for their cultural commitment.
-Giancarlo de Carlo

To me, this idea of the how and why in the context of architectural practice is interesting. If the how is design strategies/solutions and the why is social context, then we must ask ourselves if the hows of our architecture really respond to the why? Additionally, there is the question, is this even possible when an architect works for a client that disregards social concerns? While that particular situation may cause conflicts between the ideals of the architect, I believe that it is still possible to design to please a client in a socially responsible way. I dont think it is easy; it would definitely take careful juggling between all drivers of the how, but I think it can be done. I feel like the architect has a certain level of license to instill his or her design ideals into any project, so it is only a matter of an architect defining his or her reason or why for designing, and then trying to find a way to instill that into each project, in however small a way.




**The images above are just for comic relief :)

Comments

  1. I agree with you. I am also an optimist that think that we can still work with a client and be socially responsible. It is our duty to educate the client... in a nice matter. I think the "why" is even more important that the "how" and that reiterating that throughout the how should be fundamental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. I do think it is the role of the architect to educate the client on the hows and whys for designing and how both of these things are equally important to continue to think about and design for throughout the process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree. I thinking asking "why" and justifying the "how" is a crucial part of the success of a design. Architects are responsible for determining the best answer to both of these questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I think architects are responsible to guide or influence their clients through the design process. With joint effort from architects and clients can they give a better answer to the design issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is important to remember the why in all projects, but the connection between the why and the how is vital. If you have a why but don't know how... if you have design idea, but don't have the technical knowledge or skill to build it, what is it worth?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts