The “Ideal” Commission


“We still feel the ideal commission is one that allows us to do the chair as well as the urban context.”

-John Habraken

This quote relates to the topics of control and design for the user. Personally, I do not like the idea of an “ideal” commission that allows us to design everything, including the chairs and the placement of them. I believe it allows us to assume too much control of the image of the building rather than allowing it to become a space that is activated and established by the user that occupies it.

This quote also makes me think of the video we watched in Pro Practice II with Rob on the first day of class regarding the Getty Center designed by Richard Meier. Towards the end of the video we see Richard Meier tell a clueless employee of the Getty that the tables and chairs are misplaced, and he should reference a floor plan to get them placed correctly. Not only did this make me mad, in that he wanted to have excessive control of the setting and activities occurring in the spaces; but it also led me to think Meier was even more of an arrogant designer than I already thought he was.



Actions like these create environments that are essentially untouchable spaces created for and by the architecture, rather than a space established for the purpose and intention of being used.


Comments

  1. I thought the same thing when we watched that video! I've been to the Getty and while it was magnificent, it did feel untouchable, like you put it. And personally I tend to remember things more when I feel any sort of ownership or investment. In buildings such as this, it is something to admire from afar but one where you can never really feel completely comfortable. I wonder what would it be like if there wasn't a security guard around every corner or if every flower wasn't perfectly aligned with the one next to it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is an interesting discussion- architects as megalomaniacs. Though it seems as if times are changing and the starchitect is fading out. With an emphasis on user experience, outcomes, and general cultural happiness, I think architects are trying to zoom-out and have less direct control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I think architects need to take a step back and allow the people who are actually going to be using the space, transform it in the way that works for them. I do agree with the post above, that architects do seem to have more of an emphasis on user experience and designing space that facilities what the users need and want.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts