Everyday Junk

While thinking about the readings and videos related to the Everyday, I couldn't help connecting it back to the idea of "junk space." Margaret Crawford's idea of a community transforming existing in-between public spaces into a new tactical use driven by the community is an obvious connection and use of unconsidered space. The question then becomes, how much can an architect plan for these tactical uses before it becomes inauthentic and contrived?


While talking about a student's "graffiti wall" in an undergrad studio, I remember a professor saying that nothing prevents true acts of graffiti like telling someone to graffiti the wall. To a certain extent, I think this is true for many public spaces. The more we try to preprogram spaces, the more stifling the environment will be. This may mean that as architects we don't get that perfect picture of skateboarders and impromptu millennial hang outs, it may just be a woman reading a book during her lunch break and a two old guys playing chess in the shade. But thats still the community, its still their space.

Comments

  1. I think your professor's point about graffiti walls is an interesting perspective. To some extent you can preprogram how you think a space will be used, but ultimately people will do what they want with a space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Its in human nature to be defiant and your professor was spot on Russ Bus.

    I appreciate the picture too. Its a totally realized version of a parking spot impromtu park.

    Thinking back to the the concept of 'Power vs. Control' in architecture...I believe that the Power belongs to the architect. the Control belongs to the people. This is the in intersection where I believe architects need to rein back their authority and let the users take over. After all..they're the ones using it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I experience the everyday as a graffiti wall. I try to observe and absorb much of the architecture that I may over look. Watching how people interact with spaces also intrigue me because from day to day, various spaces seemed to be used differently by different people.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts