Lifelong Learning

I know people always like to talk about the lifelong learning, which is also important for architects. One reason I think is that the progress of an excellent architect gonna takes a long time. the improvement of an architect is recorded by decades, at least five years could be one step. So the studying of architecture is not only in school but also during our daily life. Paying attention to observe, thinking and summarized could be a possible way.

I totally agree with that "Our self-image determines the way we design: our buildings reflect how we see ourselves." said by John Habraken. We can see that the design of SANAA is always clean and elegant. The new housing design in Japan is always tiny which may because the narrow space and people's "smaller figure". The guy who grew up and living in a big city such as New York may prefer fancy buildings. All of these could be looked as the reflect of architects themselves and their experience. That's why I want to talk about the importance of lifelong learning.

One thing in my mind is really helpful would be the traveling. Like the food markets, I saw in the U.S., China, and Europe are different. In the U.S., there is not really markets which people do selling separately. Everything is always organized well in the grocery except some weekend market. In Europe, I feel people love to go to food markets, and there are also lots of new markets are building and some successful renovations projects. In China, which is totally different with Europe. People don' t really like the traditional food markets. Most of them are kind of dirty, not really good management and they are on the way to change and transfer to be the modern supermarkets.

Comments

  1. I totally agree with that "Our self-image determines the way we design.Like Bernard Tschumi always wear a red scarf, while his building always has a bright red touch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you make a really good point about how learning architecture isn't just something done in school, but in our everyday lives as well. The comparison with markets is interesting, and while Asian markets do tend to be dirtier, I would also argue that there's more vitality and energy within them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant agree more with you about the learning from seeing, but I believe architects love to see only the good, the fancy, and beautiful historic places, when actually I believe there's as much to learn from the bad, hard, or poor like we saw in class. Cause we can have a huge impact, if we want, on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree both of you and Ailed, I think we all learned from our experience including good and beautiful places form our memories and also bad and poor places like we discussed in class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the way people live is because of their culture, habit, environment, all kinds of things. The way is changing because of influenced by other culture or technology. That is why we architects should always travel to different places

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts