Participation and a Better Future


Although a more participatory architecture practice may bring about some difficult challenges, I think it is necessary. The age of the starchitect is hopefully coming to a close.  Architects are not all-knowing. They cannot have a perfect design solution to each new project. I am not discrediting the knowledge and expertise of the architect. Architects are essential to the design process. However, just as it it becoming more common for architects to include their consultants earlier in the process to create more thoughtful architecture, I think it may become more common to include clients and the public in a more participatory way.  
In Jeremy Till’s “The Negotiation of Hope”, he states that “Participation is the space in which hope is negotiated. What is clear is that this hope refers not just to a better future for the users of the built environment, but also to a better future for architectural practice.” I completely agree with this.  Every project should be a negotiation. Every client comes to the table with some sort of architectural idea in mind. Every citizen understands to some extent the types of spaces they want to occupy. They may not be able to describe it eloquently or draw a section detail of it, but they know what they want. The challenge for architects is to figure out a way to weave together the desires of the participants with our own principles for design.  I do not know exactly what this means. How far do we take the idea of participation. Should everyone be designing and building their own homes?  I am not sure, but it definitely makes me think about how much I consider the users of the building I design. And I do believe that participation could open a door to a better future. 

Comments

Popular Posts