Beyond Conventional Design


Rem Koolhaas’ work reflects a commitment to challenge the traditional boundaries of architecture, whether conveying complexity through the mixture of programs, calling attention to typically overlooked spaces, and/or demonstrating a willingness to question and defy the norm. I found his project Taipei Performing Arts Center rather interesting because it departs from the standardized design of contemporary theaters. Unlike his Downtown Athletic Club project where he mixed a variety of programs within one building, Koolhaas focused on one program - the theater - and intersected three different configurations into a central cube. I appreciate the sense of spontaneity and unpredictability he introduces, challenging and encouraging us designers to think beyond conventional design.

Comments

  1. Angela, I agree with your points on this project pushing the bounds of conventional design and now it challenges us to push ourselves as designers. I often struggle with spaces like this because I like to be able to see architecture for what it is and these unconventional designs rarely allow me to understand a buildings function. I think it is this concept that challenges us to decide now important purpose is in our design and now far out of the box is too far.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts