Walking as a Luxury

The understanding of urbanism and sprawl has always intrigued me. The intention behind master plans begin with such critical understanding of what a community wants and needs. However, it consistently falls flat. Like how Kenneth T. Jackson points out, this sprawling effect causes significant side effects such as low population density, shifts to home ownership, the overall residential status and the need for cars within an area. This in turn changes the safety of a neighborhood, within the city limits and suburban spaces. In reflection to how most of us have grown up, specifically in America, we couldn't go anywhere without using a car. But luckily I was walking distance to our local library. I didn't realize it at the time but this was a luxury and a critical part to my socialization as a child. I hope that communities fight more to become self-sufficient.

my local library


Comments

Popular Posts