Suburbia: Can it be Stopped?

The idea of Suburbia; the single family home with a backyard, 2 cars, a full-time office job and two kids. I was raised referring to this concept as "the American Dream". Every generation of my family has joined into this way of life (that I know of) since World War 2. Every cousin, aunt and uncle, and grandparent has felt that suburban living is the only acceptable way of life. Suburbia has become a social status.

And I honestly thought that this was what I wanted also until I moved to New York and experienced life without a car, in a neighborhood, living with every culture on the planet. Its the most enriching life experience I have ever had.

How do we convince countless Americans that a more urban way of life (as opposed to suburban) is more fulfilling and viable for the middle class? Because I will say that it would be nearly impossible to convince anyone in my family that this is true. Ultimately if we wish to "retrofit" these neighborhoods, we need the suburban vote the transform the neighborhood.




Comments

  1. I think you are absolutely right. It would be amazing if we could convince the suburban residents that city life was better. But I'm not sure this is entirely possible. So the big question is how do we manage the suburban built environment? What can we do to use it in a different, better way?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts