The American Dream, v2.0

I didn’t grow up in suburbia – I’m a product of a rural upbringing. Perhaps this contributes to my view of the suburbs, which I still don’t quite understand. I see the allure of having one’s own land, complete with dog and picket fences; perfectly in line with an innately American mindset that follows a predetermined tract of life. It’s all figured out for you, just sign here and the dream can be yours. But it doesn’t make sense. Why would anyone corner themselves into a daily hour+ commute, flock to a more dense area for the duration of a workday, and return with hopes of having some space only to find the neighbors breathing down their neck? Not sure right now, but I guess I’ll find out this summer in Dallas…

Opposing the suburban landscape of Keat’s time, today’s suburban homes seem to be quite large, simply for the sake of being large. They’ve retained their lackluster identity, but have become increasingly lifeless and encompassing despite their more spacious illusion. This highly marketed, “idealized” American lifestyle is certainly not for me. I would much rather have a small, well detailed space that is within walking distance of work in an area that retains some breathing room for public use; I’d imagine that I’m not alone in this thought. Does our generation mark a shift in the predisposed American Dream, version 2.0?


Reinventing The American Dream

Comments

Popular Posts