Why Can't We Have it All

Our discussion in class really made me thinking, “can you have one without the other?” It was something, in my three years of architecture school, I have never really thought about, because in school we were taught to take everything into consideration. At least, that’s what I thought. 

Peter Zupthur’s idea for focusing on the atmosphere that an interior is somewhat more on how I look at a building. I tend to think since the interior of the building is where most occupants spend their time and should be designed beautifully, but it is the envelope that introduces the user into this interior space. One can’t survive without the other, and Zaera-Polo’s ideas of completely dismissing the interior and focusing on the envelope is not the right solution either. However the exterior can generate wonderful spaces outside. 


Why can’t we have both is my question and I don’t think a, “it’s just the way it is” should be sufficient. It should be a part of the architect’s job to be able to successfully design and atmospheric interior while, maintaining an eloquent envelopes. 

Comments

Popular Posts