Autonomous Architecture?

Architects design the architecture and residents complete it:  Some may have a philosophical space while crowded in real life; some offer platform for lively activities while sooner become empty and extra; Different skyscrapers define the symbolic city in Google image, but our memory may be a jammed bridge on Monday morning; Koolhaas stressed the CCTV tower a serious building, yet the nick name “big pants” become a popular icon with both praise and blame…
Eisenman’s idea is very interesting to think but may be difficult to realize. Or, I would say, architecture could, but building could not.
Can architecture really be autonomous as Peter Eisenman says?  Jump out the cultural background, cut off the fetters to the society, the economy, and all context, what will it be and who can decide it?
 
I just think of my first room in Clemson. I am the designer and the client. My landlord put one of his beloved cabinets, my mother sent me pink bed covers and only the organization was my taste. If without the limits and focus on just aesthetics, how can this room become independent? The solution I could imagine probably is to move out all the stuff and only me and the space, both free now. (Maybe possible someday:)

Eisenman’s idea is very interesting to think but may be difficult to realize. Or, I would say, architecture could, but building could not.

Comments

  1. I believe you are addressing the aspects of the design and considering the idea of Eisenman while even considering the function, economics and viability of the building. Which is what we usually do and I believe it is right. But Eisenman looks them as artifacts of the physical world and that attitude of his changes the perspective.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts