To Junkspace or not to junkspace

     Rem Koolhaas’ Junkspace talks about the negative impact buildings such as shopping malls and airports are having on architecture. He believes that junk space is what occurs when modernity has run its course. 

    In a way Koolhaas is correct, humans have made great strides in technological achievement in the past century and it has allowed us to create more things faster. I think that this luxury has cost some architects. Rather than being intentional with their work they are just adding more to make the architecture seem like more than the sum of its parts. 

    Now do I think this happens as often as Koolhaus does, I do not, but I am aware that it happens and I think that a reexamination of our design process could be beneficial for later works.





Comments

  1. I agree Bryan! I also think it is easy for Rem to say these things as a major standout in his field. Some architecture practices rely on clients accepting them to design for them, having less freedom then someone like Rem Koolhaas. I think this is a major problem we face in the design field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well Bryan, I like what you said about architects trying to add more things onto a building to make it look more than the sum of its parts. I think its important for architects to really analyze why they are designing the building and directly respond in a thoughtful way rather than adding something that is surface level that barely relates to the context around it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts