Balance

As an Architecture student, I always pay attention to the buildings around me and also collect related information by searching on the website. There is a pair of phenomena that stands opposite mutually always attracting me. One is that architects have their personal dream status of architecture and hope other people enjoy the lifestyle in their mind. The other one is that architects do what they are told by users(clients). What they are trying to do is pleasing clients. However, what they design looks bad from the perspective of architecture field. Some people may prefer being extreme, while I insist on chasing balance.

Balance means win-win. It is not about compromise, to be more precise, both of architect and user are able to get what they want. There is a case in this point. From my perspective, Koolhaas make it when he designed CCTV for the Chinese government. From his book called Content, we can find out the concept of CCTV which is the metaphor of reproductive organs. Although it is unfriendly, but I still think that he reached the balance by this way. Actually, there are main types of architects, the first one has their own thought and never want to give up to the right of government, then they escape from serving the government. While the other kind of architects obey the government and abandon their own view. Nevertheless, Koolhaas is different from both of them. He helped Chinese government make the dream of the giant, great building come true, he also kept his own view at the same time. The most important thing is that he played a trick on his client. Although I do not encourage architects to make fun of their client, I have to admit that Koolhaas get the balance between the right and own view.

From what I discuss above, I would like to go to the conclusion that it is possible to get the balance if we can think more based on its special condition.


Comments

  1. It would be good if each architect can achieve the ideal situation of balance. I think it's not easy to control the balance in reality, especially when you want to show a strong idea and you are not Koolhaas. But that's why I like architecture, you need more experience to get capacity of the balance. Once you can control the balance of your project, you can control your life,too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts