Pop Art(chitecture)

 I've combed through the Learning from Pop reading a few times now, and I've collected a series of questions from the reading.  We've heard of Pop Art, but can Architecture be "Popular" is it "popular"?  Is giving people what they want popular?  When I think about our modern culture, I think of a culture that is consumed with data, news, etc.  I think about how instant gratification of social media and 2-day shipping has changed the way we make exchanges and view life.  Has this, or will this, affect architecture?  Smart devices now are making their way into the market, providing us convenience but also possibly selling out our privacy.  So then what does this mean for architecture, might it too become driven by social media?  In some ways, I feel like it already has.  Take for instance HGTV and its array of fixer-upper tv programs, it seems like nowadays everyone is wanting to get into fixing up homes and selling them.  I witnessed this in Charleston, where neighborhoods are being bought up and flipped for the sake of a quick buck.  The result?  A bunch of cheap quality designs that are kitschy all because they saw it on some tv show.  I started to wonder if this was isolated to just residential architecture because I feel that there are enough good designs being built around the world that not all is in fact lost.  Then I started to think about spaces like Times Square, where building facades are one by one being covered with even larger and brighter screens, "atm's" built into bakeries now dispense cupcakes at all hours, and that there are architectural designers out there pandering to consumerism. What are your thoughts?

Comments

  1. I agree, I believe this new age of 'instant gratification' has and will continue to affect architecture. It's almost impossible to travel nowadays and not see repetition of big chains like McDonalds, Walmart, and Chic Fil-A, just to name a few. Architecture should embody identity and not a stream of quick fix stops to feed into America's 'I want and need now' mindset. Tv shows, such as those advertised on HGTV, give viewers a false sense of just how long it actually takes to create a design, and renovate a house. This is causing the public to believe that these types of ventures are extremely easy, and don't require much time or effort.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts