The Projective Gang


The concept of autonomous versus projective architecture is new to me, but it makes sense when explained with projects from Rem Koolhaas, and I find it fascinating to see it reflected in the work of his “students.”

During class I couldn’t help but think of Jeanne Gang, principal of Studio Gang and also an OMA alum (and one of my favorite architects) and her projective approach to some of her popular projects. Solar Carve tower, as suggested in its name, takes on a form determined by sun angles to maximize daylighting on the Highline park below, not leaving the public space below in a constant cold shadow. The visually interesting roofline for the WMS Boathouse at Clark Park is taken from a study of the motion of the oars, and there is a clear resemblance between the diagram and the built form.

I would say that I don’t have a preference for autonomous versus projective, but on second thought, I may have to say projective after considering that three of my favorite architects fall into this category (BIG, Jeanne Gang, and MVRDV). I think it’s more justified and that it results in more meaningful, exciting designs.







Comments

  1. I agree that projective architecture seems to produce more justifiable and meaningful,exciting designs. Diagramming based on program and not geometry seems to produce spaces that work more efficiently for the user and create a more comfortable environment. However, to be devil's advocate, someone could argue that autonomous architecture creates more exciting spaces because it forces a user acknowledge and question the space. The "hotness" of it could be exciting for people in and outside of the profession.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts