A Not So Spooky Urban Skeleton

 When I attempt to define an urban skeleton and what that means to a community I immediately think of something scary, bare in spatial characteristics and a place that feels unconnectable to the people. I visualize structural ruins, broken, weathered facades and neglected landscaping. Having lived in the wealthier suburbs of a skeleton-filled city, I don’t have a strong personal experience with this need for self-building within my realm of place. I do, however, connect with the sense of pride of being a part of a community, and the passion that resides in high ambitions for public community spaces. 



Connecting this with the Guerilla Architecture video on how a specific application of self-building within a community was inspiring to me. I found myself amazed how the strategies crafted (taking into consideration the limited access to construction materials, equipment and most likely funds) by the community seemed to be incredibly successful. Although the process of doing this illegally is something that I would be too timid to ever commit to, I respect the hustle. Being able to utilize tools of the trade to reconstruct and redefine spaces that no longer serve as a purpose to the people that want to use the space is understandable. To take matters into one’s own hands, when other hands can’t provide for you is ambitious. 


In hopes of transforming spooky abandoned structures into ideological community spaces feels almost second nature to a tight-knit community. I find great beauty in successful architecture that is successful because creativity bought it there. Designing for a built environment that possibly incorporates reused car doors found in a junkyard to clad a wellness center in an operational way that has never been done before, yet provides a stronger functional passive cooling system than with typical façade treatments...that’s the good stuff. That’s where the beauty of innovation stems and where the community’s connection is articulated. Seeing actual instances through architecture on the care and responsibility people have to their meeting spaces and their judgement of what is important enough to risk personal and political individuality is what removes the scary, ugly and unsafe qualities to an urban skeleton. And for this as well as a big fan of all things spooky, I don’t think I am able to classify the urban skeleton as a piece of architecture that is undesirable to a community. The potential of a dead space is far too high to ignore. The urban skeleton is only a space waiting for someone to care enough to incorporate into their community circle.





Comments

  1. "Being able to utilize tools of the trade to reconstruct and redefine spaces that no longer serve as a purpose to the people that want to use the space is understandable. To take matters into one’s own hands, when other hands can’t provide for you is ambitious."

    This quote is beautiful, but then the only question that is raised is, what about the law? Is breaking it good or bad in a situation like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricky tricky proposition...

      Breaking the law in this case to self-build is completely justifiable to me, and I would like to think that I'd be first in line to commit crime in this manner - as long as my mother doesn't have to know. Maybe last minute I would back out, but the idea of working together with my community where everyone collectively shares this sense of burning passion to build together excites me. Spending long hours and weekends as sweaty construction days sounds like such an enriching experience to me that I might consider giving up my (beloved) Friday night bar scene for. And you know me well enough to know that saying I would consider building on-site > going to the bar is a serious statement for me to make...

      Delete
  2. haha. I am speechless but my mind tell me that in your case, there is only one applicable theory, which is
    "BAR > Working on site on a Friday night" lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts