We’ll Find Our Ruler

I started from designing for myself. Designing fulfills my desire to create the beauty by my hand. It also gives me chance to daydream a rich :) and famous designer career. So, at first, I insisted on the beautiful thing, or a good taste design. My personal taste somehow became the invisible hand and made me uncomfortable if there are conflicts between my client and me. My first real client- my friend, asked me for advice of her new room layout. We had quite different opinions, especially about the location of her pink mat. For one small room, we changed five plans. My patience together with my sense of control were exhausted. One week later, she showed me a photo: she adopted main design and add some personal changes. She told me that her new room made her feel really good and prepared her for a new lifestyle. The interesting thing was I felt even better. With all the limitations, if I and client can work together to figure out a solution to satisfy both, it made me happier. My happiness has changed, and myself ego may not be so important this time.


One of my favorite architects, Nader Khalili, who created the Ceramic Houses and Superadobe construction system, found his dream in his 40s. “Midway in my life I stopped racing with others. I picked up my dreams and started a gentle walk… I touched my dreams in reality by racing and competing with no one but myself.” He made me believe that we may start from designing from ourselves, but someday each of us will have our own ruler. And just remember, enjoy it, make a good and happy design.

Comments

Popular Posts