Lessons from Milan, Italy



When I studied abroad my junior year at Clemson University Genoa campus, I had a course where we visited various buildings and sketched them whilst learning the history of the  buildings. I remember visiting Milan and seeing the famous Duomo. There I learned this building's construction started in 1386 and was finished in 1965. Imagine that a building you designed to be completed but yet never see the end. 579 years for this building with one purpose to be completed. I felt like this idea to waste that much time on a single building. Now to think what if we designed for modularity, how far could we build, how adaptable could we be, and how can we best use our time and resources? We design the kit of parts, show how they can be assembled, and let creativity take hold of the users to make their decisions on how they spend their daily lives. Also extra photo of myself and Mason Blackwell for your amusement.



Comments

  1. the point of your story is that buildings don't need to be adaptable to last, they need to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts