Where we come from is very different from what we do now.

 

My dream journey to be an Architect started on the 6th of January 2012. My perception of life started changing and transforming from that day. The more I dug deeper, the more I have inclined towards the world of Architecture, more I have been inspired by the legends of Architecture. My instinctual urge of asking questions and knowing the unknown has helped me hovering my dream better. I started to discover everything with different dimensions. It changed my attitude, my lifestyle.

From that day I started to learn about the differences between lines and curves. My unconscious mind always lead me prioritizing black and white color. It was fun arguing with my mom about the difference between black shades. Relationships fall apart and suddenly I was started to be considered unsocial in my family and friends for ignoring many social events. Architecture shaped me into a different person. Eventually, it made me more organized and clearer in my perceptions. I learned to know myself and the experiences that I am getting from my life are much more than I can imagine. Architecture shaped me to think more about people and the environment. It taught me to accept the fact of rejection and appreciation.

The fact that I wanted to share is these realizations don’t come to me from architecture school. In school, we are always pushed to design big, conceptual, hypothetical, and unrealistic designs.  I would rather appreciate it if I was taught real architecture in everyday environments. The real world is not like the black and white that we were taught to be in school. It’s more vibrant and more flexible. I think the notion of being an architecture student is a lot different than being an architect for people and the environment.

From the article “Questions That Won’t Go Away” by John Habraken “Teaching architectural design without teaching how the everyday environment works is like teaching medical students the art of healing without telling them how the human body function.”

I think it is very important in architecture school to teach knowledge about the everyday environment, how it is structured, and what we can learn from historic evidence of architecture rather than teaching a student to be unique with a different attitude.

Comments

  1. I understand your idea of learning realistic and most latest knowledge on architecture in school. I felt the same too, for many years. I lately realized that school doesn't necessarily teach the knowledge, but teach us how to acquire knowledge.

    Even in our Comp exams, we have shown may be 20% of what goes in industry submittals. There is always an increasing scope if we want to increasing knowledge. But if we learn how to gain knowledge, we can learn case centric things when ever required.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts