Freedom vs Efficiency in the Home

 One quote that stuck out to me from Crawford’s reading was, “Lefebvre distinguishes between two simultaneous realities that exist within everyday life: the quotidian, the timeless, humble repetitive natural rhythms of life; and the modern, the always new and constantly changing habits that are shaped by technology and worldliness” This opened my thoughts to thinking about these two sided of reality, and how they manifest in my life. Part of my exercise on navigating through these thoughts, was to look introspectively and see where I place emphasis on my personal life, to see if this would influence me on how I designed for others. This yin and yang between the natural rhythms of life and the modern advancements of the age manifest personally in organization and freedom. In the example I brought up to the class in the debate, I labeled the natural responses to life as using whatever you have for the need present (like using a treadmill as a clothes rack) and the more modern reality of life as built in furniture. By simplifying these two thoughts to these objects, and then pairing them against each other, I had to choose an option, overall highlighting where I place the most emphasis in my day-to-day life. Overall, my priorities did not align with the class, and I would say 70% of the class would have chosen freedom (treadmill as clothes racks) vs efficiency ( built in furniture). My big take away from this whole discussion is that it is important to design for both, and finding the balance between the two would cater to the most people



Comments

  1. For myself, I feel as though the built in furniture would provide a greater sense of freedom knowing that the little things (like storage and organization) are taken care of. Having these smaller things "out of sight - out of mind" allows me to focus on greater issues.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts