What kind of Architect do you want to Be?

     The lecture discussion of Thursday brought up so many good discussion points.  One of my favorite questions asked had to do with what kind of architecture we want to do and what kind of architect we want to be.  One of the options was if you wanted to design amazing looking architecture or boring architecture.  This question also had to do with the amount of work that each of these types of architecture received too.  

    I think that architects should want to design projects that make them excited and happy.  Designing work that is monotonous is boring to me and does not give a sense of fulfillment.  No matter what the size of the project I want to put my whole into it.  When I say that I am not saying that you should turn down work that makes you money.  I mean that do work that makes you money and work that makes you happy.  If you cannot do  both then I think you either need to find a new firm to work for or leave the firm and work for yourself.  




    This is my plan for my professional future.  There are some checkpoints that I have to hit first before I can achieve my goals.  If people challenged what ordinary buildings looked like or what they were like spatially it will make that question about what type of architecture people want to design void.  All architecture would become interesting and then everyone would want to design anything.

  

    A good example of an architecture firm that is doing this is BIG.  One of their projects is a factory that also functions as a ski slope too.  Another project is a group of shipping containers that function as student housing.  This is make extra special from the fact that the shipping containers are sitting out on the water.  BIG and others set a great example for others.  I think people should follow their lead and join them in the trenches.  

Comments

Popular Posts