House vs Home

 The conversation two days ago in class really spoke to a personal motto/goal for the future. I’ve always said that I would be disappointed in myself if I go through my whole career without trying some form of residential architecture. The idea of working with people to bring to life their idea of a home sounds very fulfilling, and something I want to try at least once. I’ve always said that I want to turn houses into homes for people. A house is something that you see from the outside, but a home brings security, safety, joy, comfort, and sanctuary. A house to me seems to be built for a place, vs a home is to be built for a person. I believe that these are underlying values in the examples we saw from class Tuesday. Nimes’ housing complex puts so much more value on the inside and the potential of what residents can do in their homes by enlarging the interior spaces. Simplification on the exterior to beef up the interior to me really puts value in what turns a house into a home, by prioritizing where the living happens. Even Harmon’s Seventh Sister’s House embraces placing value in design where it is needed and making it possible by bringing down the cost through a cheap façade system. At the end of the day, residential architecture is different than all the rest because of the phenomenological values we, as a species, place on the concept of home. Taking these values into consideration during design, in my opinion, should be as important as following code regulations because of the psychological impact on the residents. 





Comments

  1. Your idea of a house and the roles it plays is important for any place that is called home. I would challenge the idea of what a house has to look like from the outside. I would say how the place is on the inside is more important than the outside look of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that residential architecture is very different from the other markets in that the architect has to identify on a personal level the owners needs, desires and emotions. I also agree with Joe above in that we should challenge the idea of what they look like. I struggle to get on board with the houses like the image you shared - are people drawn to these styles because they genuinely like them? Or, is it because they have been condition to see that style as a representation of "success in life."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Residential architecture seems to have a more intimate relationship with its clients. I agree with the previous comments before me. Trying to challenge the basic idea of a house and create a space and form that maximizes the users "living potential" should be the goal of a residential architect.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts