Fast and Dirty

The video, "Rebel Architecture - Guerrilla Architect", was very exciting. The nature of the fast pace design and construction is very cool. Santi, "the guerrilla architect", has a passion for the people / client that is missed in current architecture. It is a fast a dirty style of architecture that brings the tenants into the construction process. Something about it feels more honest. There aren't any excessive pieces to the building. It serves its purpose and I think its is aesthetically pleasing too. Despite Santi claiming people say his architecture is functional but ugly.

Though, I'm not sure how I feel about the business model that is rebel architecture. To be honest I am quite torn. I find it interesting and like the idea of providing a service for those who need it. But working 'outside of the law' is a dangerous idea. I am not knowledgeable of the socio-economic issues, in span, that were presented in the video. I can see that there are issues far beyond architecture and the people are trying to make the best of the situation. This is pretty hard for me to imagine in the states. Nevertheless, it is thought provoking and brings into question what is essential to 'good' architecture and what is fluff.





Comments

  1. I like how you brought up the lawlessness side of the project and your argument on the beauty and importance of the project from a public perspective. Architecture should transcend barriers at times but then that can happen without breaking the law. I wish i knew more about the context to justify this, but I very much admire the courage and appreciate the craft and engagement that was reflected from beginning to end by the hands that made these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was interesting how in order to get around the rules, he claimed it was an educational project. I can't help but wonder why the city dismantled it though if its clear that the citizens need the space. Was it because it wasn't safe? Or, was it because it was a statement of rebellion that the government didn't like.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts