The Challenge

 The topic of “architecture for whom” has been very intriguing to me.  A few weeks ago, I wrote a blog on designing for verses designing with the consumer and/or clients.  I explained my stance on why architects should be designing with clients/users, and not just for them.  This means considering and applying clients’/consumers’ needs/wants and developing a project with them that will ultimately work best.     

But sometimes, being an architect is complicated!  I ultimately want to design what I think looks best and if not, I don’t want my name on it.  Is this right?  I’m really not sure if anyone else agrees with me, but (at the risk of sounding crude) I want my name on projects that I am proud of and that reflect my ideas.  I want my clients to need my expertise and trust my design, even if it means putting their wishes to the side.  After all, I will soon have an education in architecture, along with eventually having years of experience, so is this so wrong to think?    


Switching gears a bit, the debate team did an excellent job on posing questions that led to great discussions regarding architecture for whom on Thursday.  I have really found (both) debates to be interesting, as they have asked “would you rather” questions, where I always seem to think I know what my thoughts are on the respective topic, until the discussion begins.  One of the questions in particular was (not verbatim) – would you rather design an unappealing design for your client and be compensated, or design something appealing to you and not be compensated.  It took me a while to choose a side, as compensation adds a whole new factor in, but I thought the question was so valid and a point I haven’t really considered without much experience in “the real world.”    

Relating to my previous stance on designing and showcasing designs that I was proud of, and that were more “my style”, the assumable answer is to forfeit the compensation.  After thinking and listening to the different thoughts and arguments, I changed my thought process.  Compensation aside, I am going to be an architect.  People are going to trust me to articulate an idea they have into a phenomenal piece of architecture.  This is what I should take pride in.  Just because it isn’t necessarily my personal liking, I think that the end goal should be to design something that makes the user/client happy and implementing my design expertise to make it even better than they imagined.  After all, I love the challenge!     




Image Sources:
- Collaboration: https://www.apexarchitecture.com/blog/design-meeting

        

Comments

  1. I really liked your post and how your approached YOUR style and what YOUR name goes on. I was also able to remember your last post where you discussed designing for the user. I too struggled with the "would you rather design an unappealing design for your client and be compensated, or design something appealing to you and not be compensated" question in the debate. I think this is just another circumstance where we have to remember our role as the architect and our clients architect. I think you came to this conclusion too. We should be happy if we did our job and brought our clients vision to fruition.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts