"Just stick to sports"

When discussing spaces of social justice in class a topic that came to my mind was the ongoing debate of whether or not athletes should express their political views and opinions and use their sport as a platform to do so. While I have always found myself on the side of “play it, don’t say it,” my experience in the Architecture+CommunityBuild program and my constant reflection in graduate school of architecture’s role in society is starting to make me waver on this stance.

Haybale House by Rural Studio
I came to school to learn a profession, not to be a politician and have gone through most of my collegiate career with the idealistic view of “just sticking to architecture.” It was not until I fully understood the impact that architecture could have on people that I realized that simply sticking to architecture is not possible. Samuel Mockbee says that architects have the gift of second sight and that we should act when we see something that others can’t. If we are called to use our gifts to enhance the lives of others and promote human rights why shouldn’t athletes be called to do the same? So in summary I am basically saying that architects and athletes are one and the same and your local architectural athletes will be displaying their sweet Ultimate Frisbee skills this coming Thursday night, March 29, at 8:00 pm on the upper intramural fields. Come show your support!

Comments

  1. Is this a Dog-Frisbee thing or a People-Frisbee thing? Cause one is clearly superior to the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel every profession has the ability and responsibility to influence human life in a positive manner if they can. The same holds true for a movie star or a politician or a law enforcement officer etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a very touchy subject now more than ever it seems and anyone in the spotlight with an opinion is bound to be heavily criticized which I think probably keeps a lot of architects quiet. This is unfortunate and I think we need to speak up more loudly for things we care about even if there could be backlash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, it seems like everything is a touchy subject these days.

      Delete
  4. I was unprepared for the ending of your post. Smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words are powerful, and we should always make sure we mean what we say. However, if you are passionate about something, you should say it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Architecture encompasses many aspects of life, example: the community, anthropology, philosophy, craft, and not to mention designing at scales same and large, from furniture to city planning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts