Studying Abroad Doesn’t Make You European


So last semester, a lot of us went to Genova as part of our Study Abroad Program here at Clemson. And I like to think that I learned a lot by being there. We saw various kinds of architecture, walked for miles (thanks Giuditta), and had real Italian food. We technically lived in the city for four months and attempted to immerse ourselves in the culture. But by no means does that make us European, and while I might understand the region better, I think it would be quite bold to claim that I could design with true critical regionalism for the area.

For the haters, I’m not saying that studying abroad is pointless or anything like that. I would just argue that there are many factors in truly understanding a culture or place that is different from your own. With the Villa for example, all of the students there were isolated from the energy and atmosphere of Italy even though we technically lived in the city. And while living in that place for a few months is definitely a start, I just don’t think it’s enough.




Comments

  1. I definitely agree with this post. I think our time abroad gives us a really quick dip into the ocean of Europe, just enough to appreciate and learn but definitely not for long enough to consider ourselves European or to design with any sort of regionalism. I think in order to do that, we would have to live there for 5 years minimum, if not a decade. This is because I think that Critical Regionalism has a lot to do with culture, too. If it takes at least 5 years to truly assimilate into a culture, how could we expect to design for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does this mean that I am southern? Been here 5 years. Y'all cant get rid of me now.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I will grant you the title of southerner. Welcome to the club bruuuuther.

      Delete
    3. Do I get the title too???

      Delete
    4. Well I can't just go handing this distinction out to anyone who asks. You still have a ways to go but keep eatin' those meat n threes and you'll get there.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely agree with your post and Jimmy's comment. There seem to be two elements that become the variables when talking about Critical Regionalism...nature and culture. I feel like a lot of the projects we've seen are focusing on the natural elements of the area and not the culture. Perhaps its easier for an outsider to design work that can be considered a critically regional in terms of the integration of nature, geography, geology, ect...but doesn't actually focus as much on the people or culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean I'm not American? Didn't see that coming...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The title of this post reads like an odyssey article

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^There have definitely been Odyssey articles written about this topic but from the opposite viewpoint.

      Delete
  5. As Drake, a generational defining musician, so eloquently put it in his 2018 single 'Look Alive', "(they) came up on this side, now they on the other side." Just because someone spends time somewhere, that doesn't mean they truly understand what it means to be from there or that they are a part of that new Culture (although, when dealing with Migos albums, the original Culture was better)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the case of specific practice, critical regionalism may only occur in its first to second floors when the building scale is large to high-rise buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you. After I moved to the US about two years, I still afraid to say I know this place well and could design with true critical regionalism for the area. But one thing I found is that the different culture background would also be helpful for design. I mean there is no way to know the area as well as the local people, but we probably bring something new here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts