Urban adaptability!

 

Fruit vendors on the street

I like how the topics and discussions in the class are taking more meaningful turns. It started with the iconic designs of Rem Koolhaas. But it is not everything that society needs. Society has its requirements, and we need to understand those needs through conversations. But there are a few things that aren’t necessarily expressed in words but are worth observing and noting. I think that it is important to comprehend urban dwellers' day-to-day experiences. Examining social connections, everyday activities, and how people move through and live in metropolitan areas could all be part of this. Beyond famous buildings and broad urban development initiatives, the field of urban studies is expanded by informal economies, vernacular architecture, and neighborhood dynamics. It is very interesting to note that adaptability and informality shape urban environments. I never thought before that there should be adaptability in shaping urban spaces where street vendors, informal settlements, and other impromptu urbanism that develop in response to community needs could be part of the dynamic evolution of cities.

Comments

  1. I also was thinking about how this weeks lectures related to urbanism! It seems that the problem with applying it in architecture is that it is often a private development. Even our public buildings seem to act this way. I agree with your comment about adaptability and informality, it is interesting to think about the different ways this could be architecturally interpreted to improve space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Divya, I totally agree that there should be adaptability in shaping urban spaces because street vendors, informal settlements, and other impromptu urbanism can gather there, depending on the community's needs. I saw an example of this where I was living in Barcelona, because there were wide sidewalks with space for outdoor eating and social gathering, which increased my quality of life exponentially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also considering something similar to this. It is very interesting to me how buildings affect other things like streetscape and user experience that go beyond just the architecture/building. I also believe architecture should consider its urban response more and how the city may develop and be used.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts