What is Considered Architecture?

John Habraken’s ‘Questions That Won't Go Away’ was a very interesting read and what i found particularly interesting was the fact that at one point in time the only things considered architecture were monumental buildings such as palaces and mosques. I have always appreciated the in-between spaces that buildings create and always considered them part of architecture since starting school, so the fact that that wasn't once not considered such is astounding to me. However, it was mentioned that when you go to see Architecture you walk to your destination without really observing what is on the journey there and I feel that I am guilty of that as well. When in Europe, the only time I felt I truly appreciated the architecture was either the more monumental buildings or whenever I had time to stop and sit for a while. One of my favorite spots from my short time in Paris was on a bench under some trees that were perfectly placed along the street and right in front of me were apartments with such rich detail in not only the design but how the people living there had made it their own.

Comments

  1. I completely agree that a lot of times we don't stop and appreciate in-between spaces enough. I think it was easier to appreciate in the more fluid nature of European cities when I visited there, but at the same time, we definitely tended to move towards our architectural destination without stopping to look at the details and beauty that's always right in front of us. Is this a flaw of our architectural education or simply the result of living in an instant, impatient culture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla, I think you pointed out the important relationship between the everyday and the monumental. To appreciate one, the other is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you. We need to appreciate the in-between spaces more as they have just as much value as the buildings themselves. I find myself guilty of being drawn to the more monumental buildings when I travel as well but moving forward, I want to start appreciating the overlooked spaces instead, as they usually are more interesting anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts