90% of all housing!! (Week 10)

I always wondered why no one back at home(India) needed an architect to design their home. They always planned their own homes on their own and build them with the help of mason( the only consultant who advises in design, structure and etc. without any professional degree, but with a lot of practical experience)

I used to believe that we are required to design for only buildings above a certain budget. I was wrong; I just realized that I am never trained to design affordable housing. Once a low-income worker asked me in my 3rd year of B.Arch to solve their homes' water leakage issue. I never realized that I can think in that way. I really appreciate the Idea of the Rural Studio. That can make many Walter Segals for the future. 


Low-income house at my place.

Architecture as a profession is always away from homeless people. I don't know if anyone is without a phone today, but there are many homeless people. " Seeking Spatial Justice"  made me realize how discriminated our profession is. 

In "Rural Studio, it's more about affordable or Low-income housing, but Edward Soja made me understand the gap we have in between incomes and expenditures for all classes in various sectors. As a public transit user, I understood how important bus routes are for a city like Los Angles. As a professional, it would be our responsibility to understand and eradicate similar gaps in our discipline. 



$20K home, Rural studio.
A U.S citizen's average salary is $36K, and a home in $20K could be a great deal for minimum wage employees.  




 Recycled concrete pipe homes.

I really liked how these recycled concrete pipes can be converted into temporary homes for the homeless. It was proposed in Hongkong, a bustling city like Los Angeles, and they planned to stack them under the fly-over. This will give them a temporary solution for a period of time to stay at a prime location, work, and save some amount to build or buy an affordable house similar to a $20K house by the rural studio. Innovative solutions like these could be beneficial for spatial justice, I believe.     
 




           

Comments

  1. I agree with you, Sreekar. I feel like we can actually make a big difference in an individual persons life and I don't think there's a better way than through affordable housing. I feel like this should be a requirement of the curriculum: I think we could do a lot more with a lot less a lot sooner after graduating if we just had a few more hands-on skills and experience with working with readily-available building materials and having to improvise to meet a shoestring budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Harrison, by the time we get licensed, we can try to start practicing by our own and do some affordable construction projects.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts