Actual Phenomenology

     In Frampton’s article Towards a Critical Regionalism: Six Points for an Architecture of Resistance, Frampton creates a conversation between the visual and tactile senses when experiencing architecture. When first writing the previous sentence I almost defaulted to “observing architecture” but I believe this is along the same lines as the argument that Frampton creates. When I think of observing, I immediately relate that verb to something I do with my eyes, vs experiencing combines more than just the visual portion of our five sense. I believe this is what Frampton would encourage young architects, to strive to create experiences with architecture, not just something that looks pretty. Sometimes I feel that “phenomenology” gets tossed around a bit too much in architecture school, and I’ve desensitized to the concept of it since starting my education at Clemson, but I can see through reading this article where it is important. Whether we are conscious of it or not, emotions and feelings experienced when in and around buildings (not just for those who study architecture) are real and valid and don’t have to be shielded by SAT words like phenomenology. The height of a space, the warmth captured in a well designed room, and safeness of open corridors are all real responses that matter that we can strive to foster in our designs, whether we build StArchitect style museums or warehouses for our careers.




Comments

Popular Posts