Small work creates IMPACT

 


In the rural studio except by Mockbee the line that really stuck out to me was, “That is one thing I went through in discovering that there’s very little difference between people.” When we talk about justice, equity, diversity, or any word to give meaning to that phrase I do not think which word we use makes much of a difference. What makes a difference is we treat everyone the equally no matter what.

As I read this excerpt by Mockbee, I cannot help but make comparisons to the CommunityBUILD studio in Charleston taught by David Pastre. The Charleston program as a whole was designed for Clemson students to explore urbanism relatively close to home. While the program does achieve this, the community build studio focuses on projects that deal with a much more affluent population than the one Mockbee deals within the deep south.

The story about the trailer that needed to be repaired so the kids could go to school was touching. I think when one can merge design with truly doing good for others that sort of connection is intangible.

Repeatably, Mockbee mentions that the architecture done by rural studio is “authentic” and “Honest.” I think what he is trying to say is that the work solves a much-needed purpose and that the materials and processes are basic yet innovative beyond the norm. I can tell you that being innovative with a small budget is very difficult as evidenced by our own studios efforts to reuse bike frames.

I think the secret to rural studios’ work is that each project built upon the next which created a greater dialogue going beyond the work, but to the community.

Comments

  1. I agree, I think that all architecture should be authentic and honest and try to provide something to the people in the community that they actually need and not something that a rich guy would like to have his name put over the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I totally agree! It is interesting to me though that in both the Rural and Community Build studios, they are option studios and not required. This brings me to thinking about what is this was a requirement, shouldn't we all care about this stuff? (haha me saying this at I opted to not take the community build studio last Fall).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a very valuable experience in an architect's education... it is one thing to learn how to draw floor plans and build a crazy model in revit, but a whole different ballgame in the field. It goes back to a story mentioned in the rural studio article from a student saying they could draw window details like the back of their hand but it wasn't until he assembled and installed one that he could truly understand what and why he was drawing those details. I think it is so important to have this hands-on experience before going into the field, but that is just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Shane you made a solid point but again, education and architecture are two different things. So I love that idea of being able to build something like this pretty much because I am passionate about it. However, that is just me and I wouldn't think of it as being the best method to help us care about building communities. The education of an architecture student in general should come from life itself, their experience and journeys, not just what school teach us, not just depending on the opportunity that academia offer. So again just to say that yes it might be great to dip your hand in the dirt as you're in school, but every single architect is different in how they want to help the profession thrive. Mockbee model is empowering, inspiring as much as the Community Build program is, but it is just a small yet impactful component of the design profession. Change however can only happen through different perspectives, and I can't undervalue someone's else architectural capabilities because they never held a hammer. Hand on experience should be encouraged yes but at the end of the day, architecture is broader than floor plans and building materials, it is a spectrum of ideas and visions that aim to better the world, not just structures in which people walk in or find shelter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts