Rebel Yell




 This blog post is a response to video on  "Rebel Architecture" featuring  Santiago Cirugeda. In this video Cirugeda talked about the tragedy of many mass housing developments in Seville, Spain that were started and yet never finished. This was due to not enough funds to finish the projects. Cirugeda talks about the need to reuse these abandoned buildings because the structural skeletons are there and it would be a waste to let them go to waste. One of the projects that I found intriguing was the Spider building. To me it reminded me of Sci-Fi shows where there are machines with legs similar to this building. One quote that stood out to me during the video is that "Who doesn't have an ugly friend?" Many architects today fall under the star architect goals where the building is about beauty and less about the people. Ugly buildings can be reused to become something fun and exciting.


An example I have is the mass produced Piggly Wiggly stores that became closed in the US due to other bigger corporations taking over. The one in my home town was abandoned for years until a trampoline park company turned it into an indoor trampoline park. I know the architect who designed these spaces were not thinking of that function however the building is now no longer going to waste.

Comments

Popular Posts