Old Stuff Can Be Cool Too


I can honestly say that critical regionalism is a type of architecture that hits very close to home (pun intended) with how I approach design.  An architecture that is deeply rooted in what the surrounding culture is and how things have been done there before, but implementing new technologies and a modern way of life is something that is at the highest level of importance in my opinion.  It goes back to the blog I wrote a couple of weeks ago; the buildings that have been the most prevalent in our society (well some of them, I’m disregarding the gross large Walmart boxes and things like that) are that way for a reason, they have evolved over decades to be as efficient as they can and designed for either a specific aesthetic or functional purpose.  

There is a quote by one of my favorite architects Brian MacKay-Lyons that says “I would say the only reliable models for sustainable building is vernacular building traditions.  In other words sustainable is what you do when you can’t afford to get it wrong.”  This is one of my favorite quotes about architecture and I think it somewhat relates to the topic of critical regionalism, these building traditions have stood the test of time and should be paid respect and sincerely considered by people coming in and designing new things, not completely disregarded as sometimes happens in the more modern architecture styles.  Going back to MacKay-Lyons, he has spent his career making amazing modernized versions of the types of fishing shacks and houses that have populated the coast of Halifax for decades and it’s made him very successful as an architect.  I think it’s because making something familiar more modern just gives a sense of home and comfort to the residents that more modern and challenging architecture usually lacks.  Okay I’m getting off of my soapbox now.

Comments

  1. Enjoy what your saying! What I find great about this post is your comment on Walmart stores. Yes - I agree with what you said and what we know as Walmart today but just yesterday I was discussing Walmart's new campus plans out in Arkansas. Mass timber, locally sourced wood, fully integrated into the community, "inclusive of the natural beauty of Northwest Arkansas." Seems Walmart has even picked up on the benefits of critical regionalism?? Apologize how random this is but thought it was relevant to the discussion and even comp (its about to be the largest mass timber campus in the US - until Tyndall and all of your buildings are build ).

    - check it out -
    https://www.gensler.com/research-insight/blog/transforming-walmarts-home-office-in-bentonville

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts